January 17, 2012

“To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.” -Abraham Lincoln

A few weeks ago in student council, something happened that I did not think was morally right. I fretted over it for a while, and finally decided that I should say something. When I did, there was an uproar. I almost anticipated this, knowing how the people on student council dislike being told they are wrong. They dislike thinking about how the majority of the school population dislikes them because they're popular.

Anyway, I got burned really bad for it. You know how someone will give a lecture to the whole group, but you know it's directed at you? Yeah. The adviser did that. TWICE. A girl took special offense to my comment and decided to call me and tell me.

I already have felt on the outside with student council, given that I'm not a blonde cheerleader, but now I feel more alienated than ever. I dread going to class and I dread having to work with any of them.

At the beginning of the school year, everyone submitted a goal that they wanted to accomplish through student council. A lot of them said warm and fuzzy things like "make everyone feel included" and "help get more students involved." If I felt like one of these goals was being threatened, do I not have a responsibility to speak up???

Oh, and guess what! Nothing got done about the problem, and someone's feelings were hurt.

1 comment:

  1. Revolt still sounds like a good idea to me.

    <3 you just because you're you also!

    just don't hug me...

    ReplyDelete