November 7, 2011

mi hermana Amelia:)

“Amelia? AMELIA?! AWW--MAY--LEE--UHH!”

She wasn’t answering me again. I knew that Millie was in the room next door, probably with music blaring. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed her number.

“What?”

“Well that was friendly,” I said sarcastically, grinning at the sound of my 15-year-old sister’s voice. “I’m writing an essay about a family relationship. You and me, and me and you. I need a story. What’s something cool that we’ve done?”

“Uhhh…How about that time last week at Wal*mart, when the guy at the dressing rooms was a GUY! And we were BRA SHOPPING!” She giggled.

“Wow, Lia, like I’m really going to write an essay to my teacher about that.” Sometimes Millie can be so weird. “I need a story…some time when our friendship was strengthened.”

“When has that ever happened?” Now she had me laughing! “Really, we don’t do stuff like that. We go to dance class together and sometimes shopping. We work on our online classes in the same room, and you say that you value my opinion. That’s about it.”

She was right. Amelia and I have hardly anything in common. First off, she inherited my dad’s dark, Polynesian skin. Me? I’m as white as snow. We both have long curly hair, but Millie’s is more bushy, and mine, wavy. She likes anime and drawing. I’m more into politics and writing. She’s always had the best luck with friends, but I’d rather have a select few. I like sweet candy, and her, sour. Yet somehow, we get along just fine.

One reason why we’re so close is the age range in my family. I have 2 older sisters who are 1 ½ years apart. Then, there’s a 5 year gap before me. Amelia and I have always been the “little sisters.” It’s like we’re on the same team. When we were young, and the older 2 were at school, we would play with their pokemon figures, which was forbidden. We’d watch for the bus. When it came, Amelia and I would clean everything up before they arrived home. It was our little secret.

After our move to Utah, Amelia and I became even closer. We played stuffed animals, barbies, polly pockets, or all of those at once. We shared a room and bunk bed. Though we often argued about menial things, we quickly overcame those, strengthening our relationship.

Things changed as I grew up. No, Amelia and I don’t play like we used to. Instead, we talk and talk and talk! We support each other, learn from each other, and love each other. Because we’re so different, we can offer unique perspective and advice. Amelia is the sister I can go to for anything. Millie is, and always will be, my best friend.

And yes, if you’re wondering, we did go to Wal*Mart last week to go bra shopping, and there was a creepy, old guy in charge of the dressing rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment