January 6, 2011

MUN

It's similar to debate, but not.

My team will act as delegates from Turkey. We learn about the country and then take their position on a certain topic. We debate those issues with other countries and write legislation, as if we are the United Nations. I went to a tournament last year, but I had no idea what I was doing. My partner who was supposed to be training me didn't explain anything to me. So I'm hoping to do better this year!! :)

My topic is about how the UN should respond to natural disasters or man-made catastrophes, especially concerning the preservation of the environment. Turkey has always been willing to donate money and send humanitarian aid. However, they do not believe that one state should interfere with the government of another. I'm planning on proposing legislation that will create a safety deposit of money within the UN. That money will then be dealt out to countries suffering from a natural disaster or man-made catastrophe. Because this committee is focused on protecting the environment, and not the people, a scientist or professional should be appointed in each country to determine how this money should be handled.Then the money will be directed towards its intended use and the government of the affected country will not take advantage of the money.

YAY:) I'll see how it works out...

No comments:

Post a Comment