November 26, 2010

Warning

Warning

When I am a professional hula dancer, I shall have long hair
With no shoes and a lava-lava.
And I shall spend my tips on tuition and meals,
And coconut bras, and say I’ve no money for books.
I shall strut down the stage with a sway in my hips,
And I’ll spend all day on the beach,
And have a pet shark named “Fuzzy,”
And make up for the boredom of my youth.
I shall flirt with Polynesian men and get them to buy me dinner,
And (hopefully) pass all of my college classes,
And be really happy.


But now I must go to high school,
And be shy and get good grades,
And have my self esteem based on test scores and course load.
I must be what everyone else expects me to be.


But maybe I ought to practice a little now,
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am a professional hula dancer, and I have long hair.


This is a parody of Jenny Joseph's poem "Warning"
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/warning/

No comments:

Post a Comment